Franklin & Sons Cherry & Plum Bakewell Tart
By Candice Brown
Ready to get creative and serve up a slice of Bakewell heaven? This delicious recipe created by Candice Brown isn’t your typical Bakewell tart, so keep an eye out for the twist!
100g golden caster sugar
100g unsalted butter
3 egg yolks
200g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
A pinch of salt
Cherry and Plum
200g frozen black cherries
200g plums halved and stoned
150g golden caster sugar
100ml Franklin & Sons Cherry & Plum Soft Drink
120g unsalted butter, softened
120g golden caster sugar
150g ground almonds
1 tblsp amaretto
pinch of salt
1 tbsp plain flour
50g fresh cherries halved and stones removed
25g flaked almonds
Icing sugar to finish
- Preheat the oven to 160°C fan (180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4).
- For the sweet pastry, beat together the sugar and butter in a large bowl with an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in the egg yolks followed by the flour, and salt. Bring together with your hands to form a ball of dough. Flatten this slightly, then wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured work surface to 3–4mm thick. Lift with a rolling pin and drape into a 23cm loose-bottomed fluted tart tin. Gently press the pastry into the edges. Prick the base of the pastry case with a fork and chill for a further 30 mins.
- Scrunch up a piece of greaseproof paper, then spread out and use to line the pastry case. Fill with baking beads or dried lentils. Bake blind for 15 minutes, then remove the paper and baking beads/lentils and bake for a further 10 minutes until golden. . Leave the oven on but increase the temperature to 170°C fan (190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5).
- For the plum and cherries. Put the frozen cherries, plums, plum and cherry mixer, sugar and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Set over a low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar. And allow the plums to soften and the liquid to reduce and thicken slightly, stirring occasionally. Set aside to cool until needed.
- For the filling, Beat together the butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add the amaretto and eggs, then mix in the ground almonds, salt and flour.
- Evenly spread the plum and cherry mix in the baked pastry case. Top with the frangipane filling and level out with a spatula. Dot over the cherry halves- hole up, sprinkle on the almonds and Bake for 30-35 minutes until the filling is just set.
- Serve warm with a dusting of icing sugar and the rest of the cherry and plum Franklin & Sons Cherry & Plum Soft Drink over ice.
Follow @franklinandsons for more exclusive recipes by Candice Brown.